Sunday, April 26, 2009

sound editing......

Now I no longer recall what podcast turned me on to Radio Lab... I think that it may have been Victor Cajiao at the Typical Mac User I may be wrong and if I am I apologize to the party that I have now forgotten.

The podcast introduced me to the above mentioned Radio Lab which is a thought provoking combination of ideas and audio editing including well chosen bed music and sound effects to add to the discussed topics. Its sort of a mix of the sound of old radio drama and the contemplative discussion of Philosophy Talk (another show that I will write about in the future) and This American Life that probable need little if any introduction.

The hosts and creators of the show Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich at WNYC public radio create a few shows a season and have a library well worth looking into covering topics like stress and morality in their hour long radio episodes and have begun to do 15 to 20 minute or so podcast specific shows recently exploring big ideas like something they called the "Obama Effect", DIY universes, and the quality of silence. The discussions they have will keep coming back to you over time for more thought. The show is well worth your time and if you do give it a go and do enjoy it think about giving to your local public radio station - yeah I know I am pushing the podcast version but without the radio funding these great thought stimulating shows may go away and that would be a crime....

Go and check them out...add them to your list of weekend NPR shows they really do go well with This American Life....

take care

No comments:

Lady Gaga